Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Both, and...

One way I might write, especially on days that the ideas are not flowing or the time pressures are too great to allow me freedom to spend with words beyond a limited way, is to write from a quote.  Today I choose a quote from one from a favorite poets.

“I arise in the morning torn between a desire to save the world and a desire to savor the world. That makes it hard to plan the day."    ~ee Cummings

Does my world answer to
either…or
or
both…and?

Being or doing…
Alone they stand,
Torn desires that beacon.
How I live in the world is a choice. 

I can savor. 
I can save. 
Can both co-exist—
opposites unable to intermingle
in my world of either…or? 
Or can they both wed
idea and action
to broaden my existance
allowing both…and? 
How I live in the world is my choice.

I get caught up in one and
lose the gift that the other offers.
Doing trumps being and my life
lines up in to-do’s.
Being trumps doing and I get lost
in thoughts and ideas.
How I live in the world is MY choice.

Reflection brings the balance. 
Both are gifts.
Being and doing
Both…and…
Together.
My choice.


I am grateful for our hosts.  A big thank you to Stacey, Tara, Dana, Betsy and Anna from Two Writing Teachers for dedicating space and time for teachers and teachers of literacy to come together to share ideas, practice and life experience.



2 comments:

  1. I must have the balance of being and doing. Makes me think of yoga. In the class I attended last night there was a balance. That is the balance we should invite into our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poem ;)

    ReplyDelete